|223. UN Women needs to further strategize its partnership to achieve wider coverage and stronger impact. To decide which partners would be most valuable to liaise with, a partnership assessment needs to be conducted among Government partners as well as civil society partners.
224. Regarding Government, since gender is a crosscutting issue, it is important to work with a number of Government bodies. Ones the most suitable partners have been identified, the partnerships should be formalised and a participative planning process should be developed and followed. UN Women can then also become instrumental in interministerial coordination on GEWE, by bringing Ministries together and also by establishing and supporting an exchange platform for gender focal points from the various Ministries.
225. The capacity of the MINPROFF, being the main Ministry in the field of gender, should be further strengthened. A capacity assessment needs to be conducted at central and local level and steps taken accordingly. UN Women’s support to MINPROFF requires critical review, adaptations and corrective measures.
226. As for civil society, it is important that UN Women not only selects organisations to implement activities, but also those that are essential for advocacy, communication and networking on GEWE; by supporting more CSOs and/or networks that are active in the women’s movement, UN Women can build their capacity whilst simultaneously benefit from their outreach. UN Women should also reinstate the CSAG.
227. UN Women may contemplate better defining the strategic partnership with UNFPA. Whilst it may not be needed to further formalise such partnership, it would be helpful to establish a framework of cooperation to agree on common goals, tasks, areas and partner mechanisms; this will enable both organisations to exploit synergies and complementarities and avoid duplications.
228. Finally, UN Women needs to assess how to better engage with the private sector in the area of WEE but also to explore related funding opportunities.
Urgency: High Impact: High Difficulty: Medium